BIHAR CURRENT AFFAIRS TILL APRIL 2018
FOR BPSC BIHAR , BSSC BIHAR , SI BIHAR , CONSTABLE BIHAR , SSC
AND OTHER COMPETITIVE EXAMS OF BIHAR
Bihar Cabinet approves reservation for ‘Divyangs’ in Govt Jobs
On Oct 11th 2017 , The Bihar state cabinet has approved reservations for persons with disabilities in government jobs and educational institutions.The approval was given during a meeting presided by Chief Minister Nitish Kumar and the Cabinet Secretariat Department Special Secretary Upendra Nath Pandey.
- This provision was made in accordance with the Persons with Disabilities Act,
- The cabinet also approved the establishment of a state advisory board for the empowerment of ‘Divyangjan’ as envisaged in the
Chhat Pooja celebrations begin in Bihar
On 24th – 27th October 2017, Chhat Pooja is celebrated in Bihar, Jharkhand and eastern Uttar Pradesh.
- Chhath Puja is one of the most ancient Hindu Vedic festivals. The festival is observed for 4 days. It is dedicated to lord Surya, the Hindu Sun god and his wife
- Pujas are performed to obtain their blessings and support to sustain life on earth. The main day, or Chhath, falls on October 26. It is named so, because chhath means sixth, which is the sixth day of the month of
Bihar CM Nitish Kumar flags off projects worth over Rs 500 crore
On January 6, 2018, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar inaugurated and laid foundation stones of around 750 projects, worth more than Rs 500 crore, in Begusarai and Khagaria districts.
- These projects were launched during Nitish Kumar’s state-wide “Vikas Samiksha Yatra” which began on December 28,
- Early on January 6, 2018, Nitish Kumar flagged off 294 projects worth Rs 236 crore at GauchhariKataha village in
- Later, he flagged off another 462 projects totalling around Rs 321 crore at Barbigghi village in Begusarai.
Bihar Government bans electronic cigarettes
Bihar State Government has imposed a ban on manufacture, distribution, sale, purchase, display and advertisement of electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes) across the state.
- E-cigarettes are handheld battery-run devices which are smoked just like a conventional cigarette. However the ingredient (in liquid form) may
- The ban also applies to online sale and purchase of e-cigarettes.
- It is to be noted Bihar has already imposed ban on manufacture, distribution, trade, sale, purchase, display and advertisement of all tobacco products and items containing nicotine and not approved by the Drug Controller General of India (DGCI).
Bihar cabinet grants Rs 105 crore for Bihar Mahadalit Vikas Mission
On 30th January 2018, the Bihar cabinet allocated funds worth Rs 105 crore for Bihar Mahadalit Vikas Mission, which formulates and implements schemes for the most backward sections among the Scheduled Castes.
- This was declared in a Bihar cabinet meeting headed by Bihar Chief Minister Nitish
- In the cabinet meeting, it was also decided to construct a high security jail in Phulwarisharif block of Patna. The construction of this jail would cost around Rs 56.72 crore. Maoists and dangerous criminals will be held in this
Delhi is the richest state, Bihar the poorest: NFHS-4
As per data collected through National Family and Health Survey (NFHS-4) conducted among more than 6 lakh households in 2015-16, Delhi is the richest state while Bihar is the poorest.
i. The report outlines that poverty is widespread in rural India as 29% of the rural population has wealth levels equivalent to bottom 20% of the country’s population.
While for urban India, the figure is just 3.3%.
- Delhi is the richest states with 60% of their households in the top wealth quintile. Bihar is the poorest state having more than 50% households in the bottom wealth
Nitish Kumar receives 1st Mufti M Sayeed Award for Probity in Public Life
On 8th January 2018, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar was awarded the first Mufti Mohammad Sayeed Award for Probity in Public Life at General Zorawar Singh Auditorium in Jammu.
- The function was organized by Jammu & Kashmir government. N NVohra, Jammu and Kashmir Governor, presided over the function. He presented the 1st Mufti M Sayeed Award for Probity in Public Life to Nitish
- The Mufti Mohammad Sayeed Award for Probity in Public Life award has been instituted by the Jammu and Kashmir government to mark the death anniversary of Mufti M
Water Resources Ministry Signs MoU with Bihar and Jharkhand for Completion of North Koel Reservoir Project
On January 12, 2018, Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation, Government of India has signed a MoU with State Governments of Bihar and Jharkhand for completion of balance works of North Koel reservoir project at an estimated cost of Rs. 1622.27 crore.
- This project is situated on North Koel river, a tributary of
- As per the MoU, out of the estimated cost of balance works of Rs. 1622.27 crores, Rs 1378.61 crore will be provided by Central Government as a grant from Long Term Irrigation Fund (LTIF) under Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchai Yojana (PMKSY).
- 243.66 crores will be borne by Bihar and Jharkhand through the loan financed by National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD).
INS Vikramaditya formally affiliated to Bihar Regiment
Indian Naval Ship Vikramaditya, which is Indian Navy’s largest ship and the only aircraft carrier, has been formally affiliated to Indian Army’s Bihar Regiment and No. 6 Squadron of the Indian Air Force.
i.Bihar Regiment is a highly decorated Infantry Unit of the Indian Army. No. 6 Squadron of the Indian Air Force specializes in maritime strike operations and operates the Jaguar fighter aircraft. ii.The affiliation ceremony was held onboard INS Vikramaditya at the Karwar Naval Base, Karnataka.
iii.The affiliation motto is ‘Victory through Jointness’.
Bihar bans sale of loose cigarettes
On 9th Friday 2018, Bihar government issued a notification announcing ban on the sale of loose cigarettes in Bihar.
- The notification regarding this ban was issued by Bihar’s health department’s special secretary Lokesh Kumar Singh. Lokesh Kumar Singh is also the executive director of Bihar Health
- Bihar has become the 12th state in India to ban the sale of loose cigarettes. The notification specifies that as per Section 7 of the Cigarettes and Other Tobacco Products Act (COTPA), 2003, pictorial warnings of harmful effects of tobacco consumption should be made on the packets of tobacco
Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan inaugurates CPA Conference in Patna
On 17th February 2018, LokS abha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan inaugurated the 6th Conference of Commonwealth Parliamentary Association (CPA) of India Region in Patna, Bihar.
- The conference of CPA of India Region is conducted for 2 days. Main subjects for discussion in the conference are ‘Parliament’s role in the development agenda’ and ‘Legislature and Judiciary’.
- Law Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad and former Union Minister MurliManohar Joshi will present key note address.
K S Dwivedi appointed as DGP of Bihar
KS Dwivedi has been named the new Director General of Police (DGP) of Bihar.
- KS Dwivedi will take charge as Director General of Police (DGP) of Bihar on 1st March 2018. He will replace PK Thakur. PK Thakur will retire from his post on 28th February
- KS Dwivedi is an Indian Police Service (IPS) Officer of 1984 batch. His current position is Director General (training) in Bihar. His appointment as DGP of Bihar was made by Bihar Chief Minister Nitish
Sushil Modi inaugurates Bihar’s first ‘Startup hub’ in Patna
On 16th March 2018, Bihar Deputy Chief Minister Sushil Kumar Modi inaugurated the first ‘Startup hub’ of Bihar in Patna.
- Sushil Kumar Modi said that, work station and office space along with free of cost “plug and play” facility will be offered to 31 startup companies in the startup
- He also said that, policy and structural reforms to encourage IT enable services and ESDM (Electronics System Design and Manufacturing) in Bihar had been recently
Bihar celebrates 106th foundation day
On 22nd March 2018, celebrations for the 106th foundation day of Bihar began at three locations: Gandhi Maidan, S K Memorial Hall and Rabindra Bhawan in Patna, Bihar.
- Theme of 106th foundation day of Bihar is: “Centenary of Champaran Satyagraha and Elimination of Dowry and Child Marriage”. The celebrations will be held till 24th March
- Vice-President Venkaiah Naidu released the following books: ‘EkTha Mohan’, ‘Bapu Ki Chiththi’, ‘Champaran Ki Kahani’ and ‘Neel Ke Dhabbe’.
- The first Bihar Diwas was celebrated in 2012. Bihar separated from undivided Bengal in 1912 as an independent