UTTAR PRADESH CURRENT AFFAIRS FROM AUGUST 2017 TO MARCH 2018
- Swachh Shakti 2018 celebrated in Lucknow under Swachh Bharat Abhiyan
Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation in association with Uttar Pradesh Government had organized Swachh Shakti 2018, a Women’s Convention on occasion of International Women’s Day in Lucknow. This year, Uttar Pradesh had hosted Swachh Shakti 2018, being largest state in country (in terms of population) with massive rural populace.
In Swachh Shakti 2018, 8000 women sarpanches, 3000 women Swachhagrahis and women champions from across country were recognised for their outstanding contribution towards making Swachh Bharat. The event also included special exhibition, launch of film celebrating Swachh Shakti and flagging off of 30 Swachhata Raths that will travel across State, spreading the message of sanitation at the grassroots.
The Swachh Shakti initiative was launched by Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation in 2017 to recognise and felicitate women sarpanches, women Swachhagrahis and women champions from across country for their outstanding contribution towards making Swachh Bharat
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) has approved 1,151 crore Central Sector Scheme for in-situ management of crop residue in Punjab, Haryana and Uttar Pradesh and NCT of Delhi. It will promote agricultural mechanization for next two years (2018-20) to provide cost-effective and eco-friendly solution to farmers to deal with problem of stubble burning that result in raising air pollution levels in Delhi and neighbouring states every winter.
- UP Government launches DASTAK campaign to eradicate Japanise Encephalitis
Uttar Pradesh Government has launched massive door to door “DASTAK campaign against Acute Encephalitis Syndrome (AES) and Japanise Encephalitis (JE)” to eradicate deadly diseases from the state. It was launched in association with UNICEF (United Nations Children’s Fund).
DASTAK campaign is part of the comprehensive Social and Behaviour Change Communication (SBCC) strategy embraced by state government to beat encephalitis.
In DASTAK campaign, the whole state machinery with help of UNICEF will go door to door in 38 JES and AE affected districts, mostly falling in the Terai region of state which contributes to about 60% of total AES cases all over the country.
The war cry of DASTAK is Darwaja khatkhatao, AES aur JE ko bhagao.
- India’s first-ever FDI in fertiliser sector: Yara acquires Tata Chemicals urea plant
Norwegian fertiliser giant Yara International has announced completion of its acquisition of Tata Chemicals’ 1.2 million tonnes per annum production capacity urea plant at Babrala in Uttar Pradesh.
- The National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) has approved five Namami Gange projects worth Rs 295.01 crore in West Bengal, Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand. Out of these 5 projects, three pertain to sewage management in West Bengal, one relates to sewage management in Uttarakhand and remaining one is related to ghat improvement works in Uttar Pradesh ( varnasi )
- State-owned gas utility GAIL India Ltd has commissioned India’s second largest rooftop solar power plant in Uttar Pradesh. It is 5.76 MWp (Mega Watt peak) solar plant installed at GAIL’s petrochemical complex at Pata in UP
India’s largest rooftop solar plant was commissioned in December 2015 by Tata Power Solar in Amritsar, Punjab.
Ø Amit Shah to launch ‘YuvaUdghosh programme’ in Varanasi
‘YuvaUdghosh programme’ focuses on enrolling youths, above 17 of age, who will eligible for voting in the 2019 LokSabha election.
- International Bird Festival to be held at Dudhwa National Park
International bird festival is to be held for 3 days starting from 9th February 2018, at Dudhwa National Park, in Lakhimpur Kheri, Uttar Pradesh to promote eco-tourism in Dudhwa and to gain a distinct international identity.
Brand ambassador of the International Bird Festival is documentary maker Mike Pandey.
Ø Uttar Pradesh theme state for Surajkund crafts mela
On 1st January 2018, Haryana tourism department announced that Uttar Pradesh is the theme state for the 32nd Surajkund International Crafts Mela, to be held at Surajkund, Faridabad,from 2nd to 15th February 2018.
- All Indian states and around 24 countries are expected to participate in the Surajkund International Crafts
Ø UP CM Yogi inaugurates Mahesra Bridge connecting Nepal to east UP
Mahesra Bridge at Sonauli-Gorakhpur National highway.
The Mahesra Bridge links Gorakhpur and other eastern Uttar Pradesh districts with Nepal.
The bridge will act as the main route for people travelling from Gorakhpur towards Balrampur, Maharajganj and Gonda.
Ø Uttar Pradesh launches Mukhyamantri Awas Yojana Gramin
‘Mukhya Mantri Awas Yojna Grameen’, a new scheme to construct houses in rural areas.
Mukhyamantri Awas Yojana Gramin is for those who have not been covered under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana and those who are not beneficiaries of any other government housing schemes.
Under this scheme, Rs 1.30 lakh financial aid (for constructing houses) will be given to people residing in Naxal-affected areas of Uttar Pradesh and Rs 1.20 lakh to selected beneficiaries.
Ø Uttar Pradesh Cabinet approves ‘one district, one product’ scheme
January 23, 2018– to promote products indigenous to every district.
Under this scheme, one product indigenous to every district of Uttar Pradesh would be showcased at the three-day UP Diwas event beginning from January 24, 2018.
- PM NarendraModi inaugurates National Youth Festival
On January 12, 2018 – 22nd National Youth Festival is a five-day event being held at Gautam Buddha University, Greater Noida, Uttar Pradesh
First edition of National Youth Festival was held in Bhopal in 1995.
It is celebrated (starting from January 12) to commemorate the birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda, the youth icon of India.
Theme of 22ndNational Youth Festival is ‘Sankalp Se Siddhi’
Ø Uttar Pradesh govt restricts use of loudspeakers at religious, public places
Uttar Pradesh State Government has directed all District Collectors and Superintendents of Police to take action against unauthorised loudspeakers and public address systems installed at religious and public places.
Those using loudspeakers without approval should obtain permission by January 15, 2018, failing which, action will be taken against them under the Noise Pollution (Regulation and Control) Rules, 2000.
Ø Atal Pension Yojana subscriber base touches 80 lakh-mark
On 5th January 2018, the Atal Pension Yojana’s (APY) subscriber base reached a mark of 80 lakhs.
The Atal Pension Yojana (APY) is run by the Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority of India (PFRDA). It has reached 80 lakh subscribers.
Uttar Pradesh has highest number of subscribers (11.41 lakh). It is followed by Bihar (8.87 lakh) and Tamil Nadu (6.60 lakh).
The PFRDA had taken initiatives like account statement view and e-PRAN (permanent retirement account number). It has also introduced online registration facility for the scheme.
- UP governor Ram Naik unveiled Kumbh 2019 logo
On 12th December 2017, Uttar Pradesh Governor Ram Naik unveiled a new multi-coloured logo for the KumbhMela that is scheduled to be held in Allahabad in January 2019.
The logo comprises temples, seers, a kalash (pitcher) and a ‘Swastika’. It was launched by Ram Naik at a function in the Raj Bhawan, New Delhi.
Kumbh’s tagline “ChaloKumbhChalo-Chalo, KumbhChalo”, Uttar Pradesh Tourism’s slogan “UP NahinDekha to India NahinDekha” and a one-stop travel solution portal.
- Jewar airport construction to start in December 2018
Jewar Airport in Greater Noida
On completion, Jewar airport will be India’s biggest airport in terms of area. Under the first phase of the project, construction will be undertaken on 4000 acres of land.
- P. becomes first State to endorse Centre’s triple talaq draft bill
On December 6, 2017, Uttar Pradesh became the first state to endorse Central Government’s draft bill that makes the practice of instant “triple talaq” a cognisable and non-bailable criminal offence.
In August 2017, Supreme Court of India banned the practice of “triple talaq”, calling it “unconstitutional”. As per Supreme Court, practice of “triple talaq” violates Article 14 (Equality before law) of Indian Constitution.
Central Government’s draft provides for three-year imprisonment and a fine to a man who tries to divorce his wife through triple talaq.
- Gita Research Institute to be set up in Mathura
Uttar Pradesh State Government will soon set up a research institute for the study of the ‘Bhagavad Gita’ in Mathura.
Setting up of Gita Research Institute has been proposed by Uttar Pradesh’s Minister for Religious Works and Culture, Laxmi Narayan Chaudhary.
Annoucement in this regard was made by Mr.Chaudhary at 144th anniversary celebration of the Government Museum, Mathura.
- Uttar Pradesh records highest death in 2016 due to respiratory ailments
Government data states that, Uttar Pradesh has recorded the highest death count in India due to Acute Respiratory Infections (ARI) in 2016.
Uttar Pradesh has recorded 822 deaths in total in 2016 due to Acute Respiratory Infections (ARI). It has become the state with highest number of deaths due respiratory ailments in India in 2016.
It is followed by West Bengal in the 2nd position with 635 deaths. The 3rd position is occupied by Delhi with at least 207 deaths in 2016.
- Om Prakash Singh is appointed as DGP of Uttar Pradesh
- Uttar Pradesh government signs MoU with South Korea
Uttar Pradesh government signed a MoU with South Korea to improve cooperation in the field of tourism, skill development, culture and farming.
A South Korean delegation met Uttar Pradesh chief minister Yogi Adityanath at Lucknow. They signed a MoU for improving cooperation in tourism, skill development, culture and farming.
This is expected to provide more employment opportunities and development in these fields.
- Uttar Pradesh’s Shamli District included in National Capital Region
Uttar Pradesh’s Shamli district was included in the National Capital Region (NCR), taking the total number of districts in the NCR to 23.
- Uttar Pradesh tops in mobilising Jan Dhan Account
Uttar Pradesh has topped in opening new Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY) accounts after demonetisation (post November 8, 2017).
Data on PMBJDY Bank Accounts post Demonetisation:
One-fifth of the more than five crore new PMJDY accounts, from November 9, 2016 to November 8, 2017 were opened in Uttar Pradesh. With this, the total accounts under PMJDY has crossed 4 crore in Uttar Pradesh.
- Bihar, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh and West Bengal cumulatively added another 2.2 crore new PMJDY accounts in the last one year.
- However, number of PMJDY accounts came down in Andhra Pradesh, Himachal Pradesh and Mizoram during past one year.
- Samsung partners with UP govt to set up 20 healthcare centres
On November 22, 2017, Samsung India announced a partnership with Uttar Pradesh State Government for ‘Smart Healthcare Programme’.
Under this programme, Samsung India will set-up 20 new smart healthcare centres across Uttar Pradesh to offer affordable and quality healthcare to patients from the economically and socially weaker sections of society.
- Lucknow to get first woman Mayor in 100 years
On 26th November 2017, Lucknow voters cast ballots to elect their first woman mayor in the ongoing civic body polls in Uttar Pradesh.
- Power Ministry sets up panel under P.D. Siwal to probe NTPC’s Unchahar plant accident
On November 1, 2017, a boiler blast accident occurred at NTPC’s Unchahar plant in Raebareli, Uttar Pradesh in which 36 people lost their lives. Union Power Ministry has set up a panel to probe this accident.
Union Power Ministry has set up a committee headed by P.D. Siwal, Member of Central Electricity Authority (CEA) to investigate the causes of this accident and suggest measures to prevent such incidents in future.
- Country’s longest expressway from Agra to Lucknow to offer free Wi-Fi
Free Wi-Fi will soon be available on the entire 302-kilometre stretch of India’s longest expressway from Agra to Lucknow.
Free Wi-Fi on the Agra to Lucknow highway:
The Uttar Pradesh government has offered to lease out space for laying an Optical Fibre Cable (OFC) along the six-lane Agra to Lucknow expressway.
This will also help UP have Advanced Traffic Management System (ATMS) by traffic monitoring, event detection and speed enforcement through CCTV cameras and phone helplines at every two kilometres on the expressway.
- Allahabad to get India’s first black buck conservation reserve
On October 31, 2017, Uttar Pradesh State cabinet took a decision to make India’s first conservation reserve for black buck in Meja Forest Division of Allahabad.
Uttar Pradesh State Government believes that this decision will not only protect black bucks but will also attract tourists.
The blackbuck is also known as the Indian antelope.
- P. comes first in active gun licences
As per statistics released by the Union Home Ministry, Uttar Pradesh has the highest number of active gun licences among all states and union territories of India. 12.77 lakh people in Uttar Pradesh are authorised to carry weapons.
Uttar Pradesh is followed by Jammu and Kashmir with 3.69 lakh people in the state possessing gun licences.
- UP government launches ‘SankalpSeva’ bus service
On 11th October 2017, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Aditynath flagged off 50 buses under the ‘Sankalp Seva’ bus service in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh.
The buses launched under ‘Sankalp Seva’ bus service will connect 6,000 villages.
- NMCG signs agreement to set up sewage treatment plants in Haridwar, Varanasi
On 11th October 2017, the Central Government approved setting up of Sewage Treatment Plants (STPs) at Haridwar and Varanasi under its Namami Gange programme.
The National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) has signed an agreement with Uttarakhand Pey Jal Nigam and Uttar Pradesh Jal Nigam and private players for setting up first STPs in Haridwar and Varanasi under hybrid annuity mode.
- Union Textiles Minister inaugurates world’s largest B2B handicraft & gifts fair
On October 12, 2017, Union Textiles Minister SmritiIrani inaugurated the 44th edition of Indian Handicrafts and Gift Fair (IHGF) 2017 at India Expo Centre and Mart
in Greater Noida, Uttar Pradesh.
Nearly 2980 exhibitors will be showcasing their products and buyers from around 100 countries including China, Australia, the US and the UK are expected to visit this exhibition.
- UP Government doubles ex-gratia amount for police officials
On October 21, 2017, Uttar Pradesh State Government under Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath announced to double the ex-gratia amount for police officials martyred on duty.Post this announcement, the ex-gratia amount for Police officials martyred on duty stands, revised to Rs. 40 lakh from Rs. 20 lakh earlier.
- Dasna Jail to rename its dental clinic after Aarushi Talwar
As a gesture to acknowledge the Talwar couple’s services , the Uttar Pradesh government has decided to rename the dental clinic at Dasna Jail in Ghaziabad after Aarushi Talwar, who was murdered at the age of 14 at her residence in 2008.
- UP declares Vrindavan, Barsana as sacred sites
On October 27, 2017, Uttar Pradesh State Government issued an order notifying Vrindavan and Barsana towns in Mathura district as “pavitrateerthsthals” (sacred pilgrimage sites).
Due to this notification, no meat and liquor shops will be allowed in these towns anymore.
It is to be noted that, Vrindavan and Barsana are the first two places to be notified as teerthsthal in Uttar Pradesh Government records.
- Prime Minister Modi temple with 100 feet tall statue to be built in Meerut
On 5th October 2017, follower and supporter of Prime Minister NarendraModi, J.P.Singh, announced that, a temple worth Rs.30 crore is to be built in honour of Prime Minister NarendraModi in Meerut, Uttar Pradesh.
The temple would be built in the Sardhana area of Meerut. A 100 feet statue of Prime Minister Modi would be installed in the temple.
- ‘US in UP’: Big American firms meet Yogi Adityanath
On October 23, 2017, 26 major American companies headed by Aircraft Manufacturer Boeing interacted with Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adtiyanath to explore investment opportunities in the state. This interaction has been given the tagline ‘US in UP’.
- Meghalaya, UP and Arunachal Sign MoU to Boost Culture and Tourism
On 5th October 2017, a MoU was signed by Uttar Pradesh, Arunachal Pradesh and Meghalaya under the ‘Ek Bharat, Shrestha Bharat’ programme, to boost cultural ties.
MoU between Meghalaya, UP and Arunachal Pradesh:
This MoU under the ‘Ek Bharat, Shrestha Bharat’ programme, aims to enhance cultural relationship between these 3 states.
- Uttar Pradesh government launches ‘Mukhyamantri Samoohik Vivaah Yojana’
On October 3, 2017, Uttar Pradesh State Government launched a mass marriage scheme called ‘Mukhyamantri Samoohik Vivaah Yojana’
Under the scheme, Uttar Pradesh social welfare department will conduct mass marriages.
In order to avail the benefits of this scheme, parents of the brides have to be residents of Uttar Prdaesh and should be from below poverty line category. The scheme will also cover widows and divorced women.
- Yogi Adityanath and Rajnath Singh flagged-off Lucknow Metro
On 5th September 2017, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath and Union Home Minister Rajnath Singhflaged off the first run of the Lucknow Metro from the Transport Nagar Metro Station in Lucknow.
- Uttar Pradesh Governor Ram Naik was the chief guest of the ceremony.
- Yogi Adityanath dedicated the Lucknow Metro Train Service to Atal Bihari Vajpayee, the former Prime Minister of India.
- Former Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh Akhilesh Yadav skipped the event. This created a controversy since the plan for Lucknow Metro was formulated during his tenure.
- NarendraModi’s visit to Varanasi, inaugurates 17 projects, lays foundation stone for six more
On 22nd and 23rd September 2017, Prime Minister Mr.Narendra Modi visited Varanasi in Uttar Pradesh and inaugurated 17 projects. He digitally laid foundation stones for 6 more projects.
Mr.Modi inaugurated the Deendayal Hastkala Sankul, a Trade Facilitation Centre, at Bada Lalpur, Varanasi.The facility has been named after former BJP President Mr.Deen Dayal Upadhyaya.
The Prime Minister dedicated it to the nation.It focuses on handicrafts.
- Modi flaged off Mahamana Express between Varanasi and Vadodara:
Mr.Modi flagged off the Vadodara-Varanasi weekly express remotely through a video link.
- Modi inaugurated banking services of the Utkarsh Bank in Varanasi.
He also laid foundation stone for the headquarters building of the bank.This bank focuses on micro-finance.
Jal Ambulance and JalShavVahini service launched:
Mr.Modi launched the service of four water ambulances and four coffin carrying boats remotely through video link.
They are named Jal Ambulance service, and Jal Shav Vahan respectively.
Mr.Modi released postal stamp on Ramayana:
Mr.Modi released a postage stamp on different aspects of Lord Ram’s life at the Tulsi Manas Mandir, in Varanasi.
- Uttar Pradesh tax department launches webpage for GST related complaints
On September 14,2017 ,The Uttar Pradesh tax department has launched a web page to allow traders and others to submit their complaints and feedback related to the GST.
About the page comtax.up.nic.in/feedback.htm.:-
It facilitates uploading of supporting documents for any complaint and will help the tax department to address GST related issues.
Traders can raise queries related to migration, registration, return, payment/challan, composition scheme, backend issue, connectivity, eway Bill.
- Mughalsarai Railway station in Uttar Pradesh renamed after Deen Dayal Upadhyay
The centre has approved a proposal to rename the Mughalsarai railway station in Uttar Pradesh after RSS ideologue Deen Dayal Upadhyaya.
The decision is a part of Adityanath government’s celebrations to mark the centenary of Upadhyay competitions at district and state level.
list of some of the railway stations that have been renamed recently by the government:
- a) Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus: The name of the famous Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus in Mumbai was recently changed to Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus this year by Central Railways.
- b) Elphinstone Road: The Western Railways this year has changed the name of Elphinstone Road Station in Mumbai to
- c) Bangalore city railway station: The Central government has approved the notice to rename Bangalore City Railway station to “Krantivira Sangolli Rayanna” in honour of Karnataka’s 19th century revolutionary freedom fighter in 2015.
- d) Mhow railway station: The Central government in July 2016 gave its approval to rename Mhow Railway station in Indore district of Madhya Pradesh after Dalit leader B R Ambedkar.
- UP Government launches Namami Gange Jagriti Yatra
The Uttar Pradesh Government has launched a new awareness drive called Namami Gange Jagriti Yatra announced on 10th of August 2017.
The drive will mainly focus on cleanliness along the banks of Ganga river and maintain hygiene.
The campaign was flagged off in the state capital Lucknow by CM Adityanath.
The main objective is to make the river and the banks much more cleaner in the future.
- UP govt decides to end interview in Government jobs
The Uttar Pradesh cabinet has decided to close the process of holding interview for selection of candidates for the government jobs in all the non-gazetted posts of Group B, C and D categories announced on 29th of Aug 2017.
The state government has decided to do away with the interview in the recruitment of non- gazetted officers from Class II to IV but for recruitment of gazetted officers in Class II category, Interview will be a must.
- Govt inks MoA to set up IRRI’s regional centre in Varanasi
On August 2, 2017, Union Agriculture Ministry signed a memorandum of association (MoA) for setting up a regional centre of the International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) in Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh to develop high- yielding rice varieties.
IRRI’s South Asia Regional Centrewillbe set up at the campus of National Seed Research and Training Centre (NSRTC) in Varanasi.
- UP CM makes Akshay Kumar the new brand ambassador of Swachh Bharat Mission Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath declared the Bollywood actor Akshay Kumar become the brand ambassador of the Swachh Bharat Mission.
His upcoming film “Toilet: EkPrem Katha” deals with building toilets in villages and putting an end to open defecation in India.
CM Adityanath has also made Akshay Kumar’s film tax-free in Uttar Pradesh.